Pages

Tuesday

Temporal Meditation (The Black Queen's Pawn)

This is an initial 'sketch' for the Black Queen, one of the pieces of round two of 'the a game'. It is about 19 x 22 x 26cm and made from 15m of knotted seagrass, stained with indian ink. While making it I had to improvise some thimble-like finger guards from masking tape as the repetition of movements involved in knotting the fibre began to wear away at my skin. The final version will be larger and act as a kind of crystallized performance; I will attempt to knot a longer rope of seagrass fibres in one sitting meditation. Temporal is a weak pun on time and neuroanatomy.

My recent work has been moving towards aspects of process and performance, and not only in durational, endurance activities such as this and my network drawings: I have found that the aspect of exhibiting my work that is most exciting is the opportunity to use the work as a seed and a site for dialogue with the public.

No comments: